Drool on the Frog

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Research

Hmm? With 27 days until the Sponsor/Artist Party (yes, I’m counting), I have to do something with all this energy. In the original design phase I had so little time I couldn’t do research on my ideas. Surely I can find iridescent acrylic paint. I spent most of this holiday weekend researching. If you ever have any questions about online art supplies, just ask. I spent almost two days comparing prices and products. Part of the purpose of this blog is to share my products, process and experimentation with you. Maybe it will be useful.

We get a stipend of $275. I want to stretch that as far as I can (which is pretty far). I don’t think it will be a problem to get everything I need with it. My design is mostly paint and jewel embellishments. I badly need some paint brushes.

I was surprised, but DickBlick really has the best overall rating from me:
(S = Selection, P = Price, I = Information, W = Web site, U = Shipping)

  1. DickBlick.com (S=1, P=1, I=1, W=1, U=2)
  2. CheapJoes.com (S=3, P=3, I=2, W=2, U=1)
  3. JerrysArtarama.com (S=2, P=2, I=4, W=4, U=4)
  4. PearlPaint.com (S=4, P=4, I=3, W=3, U=3)

In 2001, there were no art supply stores here except for the general chains like AC Moore and Michaels. I was stunned. I thought a town with several colleges and universities around would have at least one art supply store.

I was thrilled when Mona Lisa Art Supply came to Clemmons. I like supporting local businesses so I will buy everything I can there. Larry runs a great store and also offers classes. Check it out.

This weekend I mainly researched options for creating an iridescent affect. I want the entire dog form to be an iridescent white. Additionally, I thought some select colors in the design could also be iridescent. All colors in the design should be opaque; I don’t want any of the white base color to show through.

I was able to find an iridescent white paint and even some iridescent acrylic mediums. I really have no idea how much paint it will take to completely coat the form. A concern with metallics is whether they can hold up under 3 months of summer sun. All the products I mention specifically say they are light-fast.

Another option I thought of is painting the entire design and then painting the entire form with one of the iridescent mediums. I have a couple of reservations about this idea. One, I don’t think I want the entire piece to be iridescent, just the base coat. Two is that these iridescent mediums may not be transparent enough and could kill the vibrant colors I’m going to use. Hmm.

Here are some of the options I found for iridescent acrylics:

Cryla Pearlescent Tinting Medium – gives a shimmering pearlescent metallic luster when mixed with pure color. On its own, it dries to an off-white pinkish color.

Liquitex Iridescent/Pearlescent Tinting Medium – produces a range of iridescent or metallic colors when mixed with acrylic color. Color will become more transparent as more medium is added. Color become more iridescent upon drying. On its own it produces a Mother of Pearl color.

Pebeo Iridescent Gel – can be used alone or mixed with transparent colors to give pearlized or iridescent reflections.

Pebeo Interferance Gold – mix with transparent colors for a pearlized effect.

Lascaux Perlacryl – iridescent acrylic colors. 16 hues.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home