Drool on the Frog

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Artist Meets Sponsor

Who is OLA? Who is OLA?
I’ll tell thee who is OLA,
I’ll tell thee who is OLA
OLA is Orbit, Ola is Live
OLA is Orbit Live Art.

Before leaving for the Sponsor/Artist party at the Camel City Cafe, I had to remember to take three things: the camera, my business card and the OLA business card that Colleen had sent me. Check, check and check.

When we entered the lobby at the Stevens Center, we were directed to take the elevator to the 10th floor. As My Geek and I walked toward the elevator, along with several other people, someone from behind us calls, “Robyn”. A lady in front of me turns to greet the man who called.

That’s funny. The name on the OLA business card I received is Robyn. My Geek leans over and whispers in my ear, “That’s OLA.” (I thought it was because of the name but, he tells me later, it was because Robyn was wearing OLA green.)

Several of us fill the elevator and head up.

“So who here is an artist and who’s a sponsor?” someone asks. Everyone responds, “Sponsor.”

“I’m an artist,” I say with great hesitation. It’s a statement of pride but also of great weight.

The elevator doors open. I reach into my pocket and hold up the OLA business card. Their faces lit up! My Geek was right. “I’m your artist,” I said.

Geni, me, RobynThe evening was just wonderful. I can’t say enough about how well planned it was by FHS. Their goal was for all of us to meet each other and that’s what they did. The Winston-Salem Journal did a brief article on the event and Beth Ann McBride with 600 AM WSFS mentioned it Friday on her show.

OLA and I could not have been more well matched. Robyn and Geni have just recently started their own design firm although they have worked together for years. They have an impressive portfolio. I really enjoyed getting to know them.

I was very excited to see the sketches of all the other artist around the room. Although some of the sponsors had looked through the portfolio, I had no idea what the other submissions were or what kind of response there was. It was thrilling to hear that there is going to be 46 sponsored and decorated forms! With so many sponsors involved and the city behind it, this is going to really work for FHS.

The only disappointing news of the night was that the forms would not be ready until mid-February! At first I was panicked but I realize that there is a lot that I can do before the form gets here. I can finish coloring my design, which I didn’t have time to do, I can buy my supplies and I can design another t-shirt!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Totally off topic...
    Curly hair? Cut SHORT? Girl, it's been too long since I've seen you!!!

    Lookin' good in the "Drool Collection." ;)

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:42 PM  

  • Yes, I thought I told you I cut it off. About a year ago. The curl is natural. Can you believe that?

    By Blogger rhon, at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home