Drool on the Frog

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Pickup & Paint

This morning, when I had coffee with my friend, Sue, the weather was cold and icey. She asked me if it was a good omen. I said, "Yes! Definately."
18 dogs in a row
My Geek took me to the dock behind the Pet Supplies Plus to pick up SAM. It had started snowing by now. Stephanie and the crew of volunteers were just unpacking the forms. They were beautiful. I was so excited to finally get my hands on one. They are a lot lighter than I expected. I can pick one up by myself.
SAM gets a ride home
The rain is mixed with ice and snow.
SAM is home in my studio
Willa meets SAM
Of course, Willa was frightened of this strange new addition. We had to coax her into the same room with us and the form. She spent a lot of time sniffing him. My
Geek believes she recognizes it as a dog but can't figure out the strange scents.
Willa gets in every picture
I wanted to get some pictures made before I started painting. It was so strange, Willa kept nosing in next to me. It was almost as if she was jealous.
Using wood fill on the rolling platform
Some wonderful platforms were made and donated to FHS. Since I was going to paint mine white I wanted to prime it with gesso first. I can be obsessive so I put in some wood fill around the molding and in the nail holes. You know those fake credit cards you get in the mail with credit applications? Those make great tools. They scrap, smear and apply and then you can throw them away.
Paiting with iridescent pearl
I started by putting a coat of my iridescent pearl directly on the form. I didn't like it. There were a few dark marks on the form and they were showing through. I stopped and put on a coat of gesso. It covered up all of those marks really well. From what I understand, no additional priming is needed. If anybody knows differently, let me know.
Now I can put on my pearl. And the lady at CowPainters was right - it is going to take less than 2 oz. to cover the form.
Tomorrow I go shopping for the rest of my supplies - paints, brushes and a wax pencil.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home