Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Playing with Color & Paints

This weekend it was time to play with paints. I'm not great with colors. It may be the reason I like pen&ink. I don't know. If I had the chance to study art in school, I would just eat up a class on color. I mean, it's really science, when you get down to it. That's my schtick.

I've been coloring my design using the luscious Prismacolors. My palette is Chartrouse, Process Red, Yellowed Orange, and Crimson Red. It was time, though, to go to Mona Lisa and see what Liquitex offered in acrylics.

Final paint palette

I didn't expect to find exact matches. I got lucky, though. I think that Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue will work for my Yellowed Orange. And Cadmium Red Medium Hue will work for my Crimson Red. Mona Lisa only had two yellow-greens. Brilliant Yellow Green is sooooo close. But I think I'm going to add some Cadmium Yellow Light Hue to it. My Process Red was a different issue.

The closest they had was a Medium Magenta. And it really is very close. But I think it's a little dull. What do you do to brighten Magenta?

Iridescent paint test
My other tests were with the iridescents I received back in January. In the picture above, from left to right, is Golden Iridescent Pearl (Fine), Liquitex Iridescent/Pearescent Medium, and Pebeo Acrylic Gel Iridescent Interference Gold.

I want the base of my form to be iridescent white. At first I looked for iridescent white paint. That's when I found the Golden. Then I found iridescent mediums. But since they were used for mixing with pigment, I wasn't sure they would have enough - iridescence.
Unfortunately, iridescents don't scan very well. I am most pleased with the Golden. The Liquitex medium alone would need at least 2 coats. The Pebeo was a long shot. The only info I could get on it was that it could be mixed with other acrylics to make iridescents. I did not know how gold it was going to be but it's pretty gold. I do not want this. I'm after mother-of-pearl iridescent.

My last test is sort of mot but I'll share it with you.

At one time I had considered having all my colors being iridescent. (I've concluded that this is not only overkill but way too disco.) The problem was finding my colors in iridescent. I did find this wonderful palette of Lascaux Perlacryl Iridescent Acrylics but was still concerned about hue.

One option was to mix my desired color with the Liquitex Iridescent medium. Here I have mixed Liquitex Cadmium Red Med Hue in steps with the medium about 6-to-1. At each step I added one more drop of medium.
Liquitex iridescent medium mixed with color

It's not until step 4 that you really begin to see the iridescence. This is also when the color becomes more transparent. It's not until step 7 that I make any change to iridescence and that's because I start adding gobs of the medium. Conclusion, the more iridescence, the less color, the more transparent.

My other idea was to paint the entire dog in regular acrylics and then paint over the entire thing in an iridescent medium. Below, I painted 2 square of Brillian Orange and 2 squares of Cadmium Red. Orange1 has Pebeo Interference Gold painted over the right side. Orange2 has Liquitex Iridescent medium painted over the left. The same is true for Red1 and Red2.
Iridescent medium painted over color
The Pebeo Gold really blocks out the color. It's a nice effect but I would want to thin the medium out more before using it. The Liquitex barely shows any affect unless it hits the light. Then you get almost all iridescence and little color. I think this would have worked better than actually adding the medium to the paint but I'm glad now that I don't have to find out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home