Drool on the Frog

Thursday, June 01, 2006

About Movie Reviews

The Philidelphia Story, 1940, My favorite movieMy friend Sandi encouraged me to start a movie review blog. I love movies and I love to talk about movies. My Geek (lover, friend and dance partner) has a knack for finding movies that are off the beaten path and frequently overlooked treasures. I hope my Friday reviews will be a resource when you simply want to find a good film to rent and need a recommendation.

My view is that Follywood doesn't try to produce a quality product anymore. I absolutely love that home computers have made publishing (art, movies, writing, etc.) easy for the average person and make them available to the world. People simply want a quality product; they don't want to waste their time. Self-publishing is raising the bar. These are the kinds of films that My Geek and I like to find.

I do not review all movies. I only see movies that interest me, but I will hit on almost every genre. Horror movies, westerns, and war movies are my least favorite. If you enjoy these genres, I'm not your source. Frankly, all horror movies scare me to death, westerns are boring and war flicks have too much T (Testosterone). Of course, there are exceptions to every rule (ex “Identity”, “Unforgiven”, and ... nope. I can’t think of a war flick.)

My absolute favorites are Sci-Fi, Action/Adventure, Comedy, Animation, Drama and Romance - in that order. There are so many films I want to talk about that I will not discuss the more popular, main stream films (i.e. "Lord of the Rings") although I may rate them in a short list for your reference. I also rarely see movies in the theatre. I’m a fan of Netflix. So the movies I rate will not necessarily be new releases but, possibly, several years old.

My intention is not to be vulgar but most of the films I watch are rated “R”. There are some beautiful and exceptional films out there that are extreme (ex. "Sin City"). I will try to explain what makes the movie extreme so you can decide if it's outside your level of tolerance. But I don't believe that extreme violence, adult situations/subjects, or language automatically make a film bad. These reviews are about quality filmmaking. I will not review movies that rate beyond an "R" (i.e. NC-17, X, etc.). These are beyond my tolerance.

My dog, Willa, is going to help me rate the movies based on her squabbit scale. How many squabbits would Willa be willing to let get away so she could see this movie.

1 : One measly squabbit would pull me away from this dreck (do I smell squabbit?).
2 : better bring a buddy. This movie’s trashy but hey, it’s better’n one.
3 : A trio of blind squabbits would have a lucky day getting across my yard if this movie is playing.
4 : There better be a randy foursome of squabbits, and one can be gimpy.
5 : OK, it’s gonna take five squabbits... ringing the doorbell... with a pizza.

I typically do not see a film unless it has received some sort of buzz so I doubt if I'll be presenting very many 1 Squabbit movies. But if there's buzz and I think it's overrated, I'll let you know.

There you have it. I hope this comes in handy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home