Drool on the Frog

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Out of Control Movie Trailers

The Lakehouse, 2006More and more you hear grumblings at the number of movie trailers shown at theaters before the main feature. I have never complained. I love trailers. I want to be in the theatre early, before the lights go down, to make sure I see all the trailers.

My Geek is kind of the opposite. He prefers to read about movies. This way he has more control over the amount of information he gets about the film. He wants to be surprised and develope no presuppositions. I'm beginning to see it his way.

The Lake House is coming out June 16 starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. The premise is that Kate (Sandra Bullock), a lonely doctor, lives in an unusual lake house. Somehow, she is able to exchange letters via the lake house mailbox with Alex (Keanu Reeves) who lives in the same lake house... two years in the future. They fall in love but how can they ever get together? This is impossible, right?

Then, late one night on TV I saw a trailer for The Lake House that appears to answer these questions! I was furious!

Romance is a very difficult storyline. There aren't many films that stand out in the romance category (e.g.Notorius, Casablanca, The Princess Bride). A romance must have two people that you care very much about and that you want to see get together. They also must struggle to overcome obsticles that keep them apart, either physcially, mentally or emotionally. In the two hours you're in the theatre, you want to experience the building of desire and anxiety for the ultimate payoff in the end. Will they make it? I don't want the answer before I enter the theatre! It's about the experience, studip!

I really like both of these actors (yes, I like Keanu Reeves) and I'm still looking forward to this film but I may start changing the TV the next time a trailer comes on.

So how do you feel about movie trailers? Like, dislike, indifferent?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I'm not one to get out to the theatre very often, so I'm indifferent about watching the trailers. Since I'm hardly ever there though, the trailers feel like several mini-movies bonuses.

    I can typically tell from a trailer if I'm going to like a movie or not. Goofy, sappy or rapid-fire over-the-top action in a trailer waves big red flags to me about wasting my hard saved cash. Not interested.

    Only on a few occassions have I gone to a film that turned out to be very different from what I thought the trailer was portraying. U-Turn, with Sean Penn, and The Village are two that come to mind. (Hated the first, loved the second!)

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:55 PM  

  • We also loved The Village. The critics were very hard on it and I'm not sure why.

    By Blogger rhon, at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home