Drool on the Frog

Monday, August 21, 2006

Adoption Auction Party

Adopt me!It's been a long time since I've talked about SAM. This weekend is the final event in the Art Unleashed program - the Adoption Auction Party.

All of the forms will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to the Forsyth Humane Society. You can even bid on-line. Details about the party can be found on the Art Unleashed site under Events. You can still attend; admission is $20.

Adopt me!I've been very excited and nervous about the auction, as any artist might be.

I look forward to seeing SAM and the other cats and dogs again. When they're all together at once, it's like a story book come to life - where ruby slippers have magical powers and talking cats and dogs are all the colors of the rainbow.

It's nerve racking because it's where the rubber meets the road. You can't help but think that the results of this auction reflects how others feel about your work. I just pray someone bids on SAM and he goes for more than $5!

"Do I hear five dollars for SAM? Five dollars? Anyone?"

"Anyone?"

chirp. chirp. chirp.

The noise in the room is a low hum. The sound is of dozens of distracted conversations while they flip through the program wondering when the next form is on the auction block.

"Two dollars? Do I hear two dollars?"


Yes, I know it's unnecessarily cruel but this is the way artists think. I need to invite my muse to the party instead of my critics.

Jacob Glidewell's blog entry, Your True Muse, got me to thinking about the company I keep (in my head) while I'm making art. I can easily picture my critics because I always invite them along but I had not stopped to think about who my muse is (I'll post about her sometime). This was a very fun exercise and I learned that I like this chick a lot!

So if you come to the auction and no one bids on SAM, you may hear some woman say, "You f------- idiots wouldn't know art if it bit you in the ass!" and then bite someone on the ass. I apologize ahead of time but she's a lot more fun than that pretentious bunch of critics I always bring.


I love you, SAM.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home