Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Post Adoption Auction Party - Part 1

The Wachovia CenterThings have been very hectic so I haven't written a movie review or reported on the Art Unleashed Auction. I know you're on pins and needles.

The venue was the main lobby of The Wachovia Center. It was a perfect location. Around 26 of the cats and dogs lined the walls of the main lobby. They were a part of the silent auction that would take place until 8:15. SAM took his party position to the left of the ticket table as you entered the building. Next to him was Swirls the cat and then the Magical Mandala dog.

The main entranceWe were asked to arrive early and stand next to our form so that potential bidders could ask questions. I didn't see any other artists near their forms so I felt a little uncomfortable - conspicuous. So those perusing didn't think I was gawking at them I would introduce myself. "Hi. I'm the artist." Then they were very excited, even if only politely so, and usually had questions.

where we ateMy nerves were getting the better of me and no one was bidding on SAM. I thought maybe it was weird with me standing right there so My Geek and I decided to check out the food and drinks which were generously donated by several local restaurants. Taking a walk and pacing in front of the food options didn't calm my nerves. Neither did the arrival of my friends (Valet Boy and Minx). It didn't help that the alarms in the area kept going off. Through the outer glass wall you could see additional seating on the balcony. People were trying to go out one of the many exterior doors which set off the alarms. Once triggered, the security guards seemed to be unable to figure out how to get it shut off again. Eventually the approrpiate wiring was yanked out of the wall to a round of applause!

balconyBefore leaving the food, I was interviewed briefly by Leigh McMillan who writes a column for the Accent section of the Tuesday edition of the Winston-Salem Journal. Leigh is a friend of the Minx who had told her that I was one of the artists. Minx told me to be prepared. Leigh was very sweet. Check out her article here.

On our way back to the food we passed the live auction area and the 20 remaining dogs and cats. The live auction was set to start at 8:30. One of the burning questions of the night was how did certain forms get chosen for the live auction and why weren't they all in the live auction. We would learn this later when we met Gummie.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home