Drool on the Frog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Etiquette Problem

James Montogomery FlaggI don't have time to write Miss Manners so maybe someone out there can help me.

Four years ago I spent one evening a week assisting an art teacher. This went on for almost two years. We weren't super close friends but I respected her work and she was very generous.

It had been almost a year since I heard from her when she sent me an e-mail November 7. She said she is retiring from teaching and having a party on December 2 - could she have my address? I replied to the e-mail, congratulating her and sent my address.

I have not recevied the invitation. What do I do? I don't want her to think I'm snubbing her. At the same time, I'm not going to be disappointed if I don't go.

  1. It's possible she never got my e-mail. I don't know how that would have happened but it could have. I know she has my phone number. If she never recevied a reply to her e-mail, she could have called. I can only assume that she chose not pursue it and that's o.k. with me.


  2. I think calling her might be rude. "Hey, are you having that party this weekend?" What if she decided not to invite me after all? What if she invited someone in my place?


  3. I can't just show up. I don't know what time it is. I don't know where it is and I don't even know if it is still on.



What do you suggest?

3 Comments:

  • Party at our house?

    By Blogger Leatherwing, at 12:08 PM  

  • If you're not disappointed about missing the party, then I say let it go. All the things you suggest as possibilities could have legitimately happened, so I say it's best to not fret over lost invitations, being "un"invited, or party plans changing from one day to the next.

    You've congratulated her and wished her the best. Seems like that's exactly what you'd be doing at her party too.

    Also, it could be that she is fashioning some kind of amazing iris-folded, coffee-filter, bamboo-skewered party invitations and it's just taking her a really long time to make them and get them in the mail. She IS an artist, you know. ;)

    By Blogger Erin, at 1:58 PM  

  • You could, I guess, call and just talk other stuff. The party might come up seamlesssly.

    By Blogger L.L. Barkat, at 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home