Drool on the Frog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Books Instead of Movies

Forgive me readers. It's been three weeks since my last movie review.

There are two reasons why I haven't posted a movie review in a couple of weeks.

ONE, I haven't seen any good movies. As you can see by the sidebar, Children of Men was the last decent film I saw.

The French Connection really holds up well after 36 years and, according to many critics and myself, has one of the best car chase scenes ever made.

Click reminds me too much of the never-ending AI. It also proves that either Adam Sandler can't act (which I don't thnk is entirely true) or that he is going to have to work harder at finding a dramatic face we haven't previously seen and been expected to laugh at.

The second Pirates of the Caribbean barely holds up to the lowly standards of a sequal. Depp even appears to know how ridiculous his character is and appears to be mocking himself doing Captain Jack Sparrow - completely unlikable this time around.

TWO, I'm in my reading stage. I go through this a couple of times a year when I read voracisouly and see almost no movies. I am in one of those phases and I don't know when it might end. Movies aren't a particular draw for me right now. Even though I don't enjoy it as much, I will probably need to write book reviews for a few weeks to keep from losing you entirely.

The impetous for this was the postings on two writers' blog.

Sandra Glahn queried her readers to find out how many of the NYT top 100 they had read. I'm not overly concerned that I read books the NYT considers great but it did remind me of a couple out there I'm curious about:
  • The De Vinci Code (Dan Brown)- read
  • A Million Little Pieces (James Frey)- read
  • Freakonomics (Levitt & Dubner)- to read
  • The World is Flat (Thomas Friedman)- to read
  • The Devil Wears Prada (Weisberger)- read
  • Cell (Stephen King)- read
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Rawling)- read
  • In Cold Blood (Capote)- to read
  • Blue Like Jazz (Donald Miller)- to read
  • The Devil in the White City (Erik Larson)- read
Then Bruce Bethke gave some recommendations for Christmas giving.
  • Redwall (Brian Jacques)- read
  • Eaters of the Dead (Crichton)- read
Others on the stack:
I'll get some reviews up for some of these in the upcoming posts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home