Drool on the Frog

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Quickie Book Review 2

The Devil Wears Prada - by Lauren Weisberger

The love and fascination with this book has to do with two things: the rumor that it is based on a real person (Vogue editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour) and the romance of high fashion. Although it is great to fantasize about how much slave labor you'd be willing to do to receive a free pair of Jimmy Choo's, without a story and likable characters, you can't make a novel out of it.

There was no point at which I liked the whiny and immature lead character, Andrea. I'm sure at some point I was suppose to like her, either before, during or after her servitude to the job "a million girls would kill for". Although Andrea talked a lot about what she was feeling and wanting, about the job and her relationships, it really didn't add to the development of her as a character as much to set up the plot.

I got only slight enjoyment out of disliking the devil, Miranda. Most of the time I was just appalled at how silly and unlikely all of this was. There's something basic going wrong if I'm half way through the book and I'm wondering, "When is this going to end?" This is about the same time at which I did figure out the ending and realized how far I was going to have to go to get there.

The Movie was a slight improvement over the book. They changed several things. I didn't like that they made Christian a bad guy, that Andrea slept with him or why she ended up going to Paris instead of Emily. But Meryl Streep as Miranda and Stanley Tucci as Nigel each have a brilliantly written monologue that appears no where in the book. If I had the choice between the book and the movie, I'd pick the movie.

"That's all."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home