Drool on the Frog

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Closed Door - SPS Card

This isn't great art but it's my first SPS card for the study of Esther, just to let you know what I've been working on.

The first week we looked at hiding who we really are. Is there a part of your past that you're ashamed of? For me that's a big YES. I've always felt like I'm going to spend the rest of my life living down and undoing the reputation I developed and honed the first half of my life. I wore a lapel pin expressed my motto: "beyond bitch". I wore it proudly and became that motto (I am nothing if not focused and an achiever).

But, this chorus by Geoff Bullock expresses how I should think about that past:

I will never be the same again
I can never return, I've closed the door
I will walk the path, I'll run the race
And I will never be the same again.

The door is closed and I need to quit opening it. I need to see myself as God sees me.


Art notes: I cut a door with an x-acto knife in a giant playing card (4" x 6.5") and then traced it with a black sharpie marker. The "CLOSED" sign is a picture off the internet. The "beyond bitch" button was done in prismacolor pencils on drawing paper glued to the back of the playing card. I laid down a heavy layer of black and then scratched the words out. Didn't work the way I wanted but it's o.k.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I'm sure you've analyzed what made you choose your personal slogan.

    I'd be interested to hear about it.

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:06 PM  

  • You are such a good artist. Now that I've tried to do just a little family crest, I realize anew just how much my talents do NOT lie in the visual arts. I love what you've done with truth here!

    By Blogger aspire2, at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home