Drool on the Frog

Friday, August 17, 2007

Doctor Who * * * *


No new movies again this week. Instead we've been renting the 2005 season of Doctor Who. Some of our friends, who I don't see as Sci-fi buffs, are fans of the show so I had to check it out.

I tend to be a purest. I always read a book series starting with book one, if I start reading a new blog I start with the first entry and I prefer seeing any season of a TV show from it's first episode. Doctor Who has been on since 1963 so I looked for CDs of the very first episode. 1979 was as far back as I could get. The note on Netflix said, "Die-hard fans consider "The City of Death" one of the series' greatest episodes...". Well, 1979 it is, then. Should be good.

Quite frankly, I hated it. How dull. I must be missing something and I believe it's the first 13 years. My friends can't be fans of something like this. Better go to 2005.

Much better! Great characters! Before I was even half way into it I liked the actors and characters so much I wanted to know all about them. If you don't have story, you've got to have characters. If you don't have characters or story, you better have some damn good f/x.

MyGeek is enjoying Doctor Who so we'll be watching this for the next couple of weeks and see how it holds up.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • exterminate exterminate this blog

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

  • Do tell! Is it because I didn't like the 1979 episode or something more innocuous?

    Seriously, I couldn't possibly enjoy the 1979 episode without some context. A great deal has to be learned from the initial episodes and the sixteen year evolution that followed. That's where the charm is built.

    Really. So quick to condemn unless everyone is like you. Just like a Dalek.

    By Blogger rhon, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home