Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Artistic Legacy

art toolkit my mother gave meI got e-mail from my mom recently. She and my dad have been reading my blog and keeping up with the progress on SAM. She made a comment I hear a lot that, unlike her, I'm a "true artist". Although this is completely untrue, for most of my life I thought the same way about myself in regards to the creatives around me. But that's part of the reason I began SoulPerSuit - I believe everyone is an artist. (Stop laughing. I'm totally serious.)

This gives me an opportunity to thank my parents for the arts they exposed me to.

My earliest creative recollection is making peanut butter cookies, standing on a foot stool, in the kitchen of our first little house. I was probably 6. Anyone who doesn't think a peanut butter cookie is art has never had my mom's cookies.

ceramic palette my mother madeA pivotal lesson in art happened on a little folding table in that same little kitchen. My mom was into ceramics then and she let me paint the telphone on a figure of a hip teenager. I was devastated when I went to bed because I couldn't stay in the lines and I had made a mess of the figure. The next morning, to my delight, mom had completely corrected all my mistakes. I learned that I couldn't ruin it and I was given the freedom to try.

We took piano lessons. I wish I could have been better but music just isn't my thing. I can't sing and, despite the lessons, can't read music. But I still know how to play the first 8 notes of the theme song to "The Sting". I'm a hit at parties.

My up-bringing was filled with one creative adventure after another: potholders, wood burning, oil paints, models, sewing, quilts, calligraphy, macramé, cross stitch, jewelry, cake decorating, flower arranging, doll houses, etc.

And my dad? Yes, he's an artist too. (Now he's laughing.) He instilled in me a love of literature. When I was in Junior High he handed me a novel bigger than all of the books I'd read stacked on top of each other: "The Stand". I was never the same. I LOVE READING! Stephen King, Tolkien, Jane Austen, Orson Scott Card, Asimov, C.S. Lewis. They inspire me.

For a few years now mom has been into fabric. She made drapes; now she makes quilts. I use to tell people my mother was a seamstress. I thought that was the highest compliment because she does it professionally versus, "She sews." Now I realize I should just say, "My mom is an artist."

Is there anyone you'd like to thank?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO THANK MY DAD HERE ON YOUR BLOG....HE HAS BEEN GONE FOR 11 YEARS NOW AND HE IS STILL AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN MY INSPIRATION...IT STARTEED ON THE DAY HE FOUND MY SKETCH PAD WHEN I WAS AROUND 13 OR 14...WELL HE WENT THRU THAT SKETCH PAD ...AT THE TIME I HAD NO IDEA...BUT ONE DAY A LONG WHILE AFTER THAT... I WOULD SAY A FEW MONTHS... I OPENED UP MY SKETCH PAD AND FUMBLED THRU IT A LITTLE AND FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF ONE OF THE PICTURES I DREW WRITTEN "YOU GOT THE GIFT" IN MY DAD'S HANDWRITING. I ASKED HIM ABOUT IT KNOWING HE WROTE IT AND OF COURSE HE JUST LOVED TO JOKE WITH ME AND TEASE (TYPICAL DAD) AND TOLD ME SOME OLD MAN AT WORK WROTE IT??? HE NEVER ADMITTED THAT HE WROTE IT BUT I WILL ALWAYS KNOW...AND I THINK HE KNEW I KNEW TOO...I STILL HAVE THAT SKETCH PAD AND THOSE WORDS ARE STILL THERE...THEY INSPIRE ME EVERY DAY...THANKS DAD..LOVE YA....
    AND TO MY HUSBAND AND MY DAUGHTER I LOVE YOU GUYS...THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT AND THE TIME YOU GAVE ME TO WORK ON "MY DOGGIE FRIEND"....
    I HAVE SEEN SOME OF THE ARTIST'S DOG'S AT DROP OFF AND THEY ARE JUST GORGEOUS...AND ALL SO UNIQUE EVERYONE IS DOING SUCH A WONDERFUL JOB...I AM IMPRESSED!! AND INSPIRED BY ALL OF THE ARTIST'S INVOLVED IN THIS VERY SPECIAL PROJECT WE ARE ALL WORKING ON TOGETHER...YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL AT WHAT YOU DO...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • Awesome post, Rhonda! The art kit photo must be your version of my Tupperware drawer post. ;)

    YOU inspire me. The way you gush about my paltry creative ventures, I know I have a cheerleader in you.

    Both of my parents built into me in artistic ways. Dad is a great draftsman. House plans, mazes drawn on graph paper, pencil sketches of animals and people. Sometimes we'd sit at the table and draw together after dinner. Those are fun memories.
    As a kid, I remember watching Mom working on one art project after another. And she's still at it 30 years later! Now we work on art together. Sharing ideas, offering support and design advice, attending classes, learning new techniques. She loves doing SoulPerSuit with me too.

    Neither of my parents batted an eye when I told them I wanted to change my undergrad major to art. I'm sure they were concerned about the potential lack of income in my future, but they were willing to let me follow my heart and my talent. Because they allowed me to go that route, my life has been blessed. (And God led me to marry a guy with a job in the tech field, so hey, I'm not starving either! Double bonus.)

    My love of art history, I owe to my 10th grade French teacher, Mrs. Jordan. She took an entire quarter to teach our class about the art and culture of France. Her enthusiasm was contagious, and I've been fascinated with art history ever since.

    In my high school days, Chris Chevine, a friend at church, introduced me to non-mainstream Christian music. It was during those HS years that I really began LISTENING to music rather than just hearing it. Learning to interact with music, I guess you could say. Some of the artists and albums Chris gave me are still my very favorites. Now as an adult, music plays a big role in my spiritual and creative journey.

    The Renaissance painters, the Impressionists, Peter Mayle and J.R.R. Tolkein, Nichole Nordeman, Jeff Johnson... while I don't know them personally they have built into my life in various ways.

    I could go on for days.

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home