Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Carving Rubber 1

I've always been fascinated with print. I had a cursory introduction to rubber stamping from my art friend, Cindy, years ago but I didn't pursue it.

In 2001 I got a job at a rubber stamp/scrapbooking store, The Enchanted Cottage. I was a very accomplished scrapbooker by this time but didn't have any further exposure or training in printing. (I had the opportunity to take printmaking while in Dallas and just couldn't afford all the supplies!)

While at the Cottage, I couldn't get enough of rubber stamping. I took home every video and magazine we had. I also signed up for their classes. But rubber stamps were very expensive.

I was thrilled when I found out I could carve my own rubber. This seemed much cheaper and easier than wood, linolium, or metal. I bought a couple of books on the subject but really never found a good teaching manual. As usual, I simply bought the tools and taught myself. The first night I carved rubber and made an imprint I was hooked. I carved 6 more before the night was over.

This weekend, my friend Sue wanted me to show her how to carve rubber. I knew once she made her first imprint, she'd be hooked too.

Sue's hand carved leaf stamp
Carving is so easy. Here's Sue's first stamp.

Sue assembling her printed pieces
She immediately made two cards with it.

Sue tests colors and arrangements
The possibilities are endless, it's such a great pattern.

Sue puts finishing touches on her stamp
Sue's second stamp.

I carved a butterfly in 3 pieces.
I carved a butterfly in three pieces to use in next weeks project: butterfly booklaces as seen in the May/June Somerset Studio magazine.

Have you ever carved rubber? Do you have any tips or tricks for us?

Do you know someone who is a carve artist? Send me a link to their art if it's online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home