Drool on the Frog

Monday, July 31, 2006

Altered Books

Sue and I still didn't have a plan for our project this weekend. She brought over a couple of Somerset Studio magazines and we just flipped through those until something hit us.

Page from my altered book.Sue was captured by an article these personal journals that a lady taught. That segued into an altered book discussion. On one of my trips to Erin's house, we worked on altered books. I pulled the one out that I had started and showed it to Sue. I told her we could get some really great books at Goodwill for 50 cents or a dollar to use for altered books. Sometimes you could find big old dictionaries, encyclopedias or annuals. This was the idea we chased.




Chemin FaisantThe Family Treasury of Children's Stories, Book 1
When you have the idea of altered books in mind while at Goodwill, it's very hard to not buy everything they have! There are so many possibilities. I already had several (and one I hadn't even finished) so I limited myself to two: a 4.5" x 6.75" French reading comprehension book and an 1956 childern's story book. I put back an old Baptist Hymnal which I regret.

Un Perroquet Bien ÉlevéThe French book, Chemin Faisant, is a series of stories followed by exercises quizing you on what you read. Each chapter was graced by at least on of these fabulous 1966 retro line drawings by Gustave M. Nebel.

The Elves and the ShoemakerThe Family Treasury of Children's Stories is book one of a 3 volume set. It also has great illustrations by Donald Sibley. It includes rhymes, riddles, songs and games.

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye;
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;
Was not that a dainty dish
To set before the king?


We worked a lot with Lumiere paints, gel matte medium and old dress patterns. We tore, glued and painted. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of our work because My Geek had my camera.

I always enjoy working in a free form situation like this with other people because you learn so much. You get a new view point or see someone use a tool or technique in a new way. Sue's approach is so different from mine and that's perfect. I learn a lot in watching her work.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • *sigh*
    The glory days of altered books at 2 am. What memories! :)

    Are you and Sue going to continue the altered books over the next few meetings, or was this a one-time deal? I'd love to see some pics.

    By Blogger Erin, at 2:16 PM  

  • There's no telling what we'll do next. Sue is a very in-the-moment kind of person. We enjoyed doing the books and didn't have nearly enough time. I think we should do it again. I'll definately get pics next time.

    By Blogger rhon, at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home