Drool on the Frog

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Butterfly Booklaces

Rhonda's booklaceMy friend Sue saw the Butterfly Booklaces by Brooke Hunter-Lombardi in the May/June issue of Somerset Studio and wanted us to make some as our Saturday project.

Basically booklaces are little books the size and shape of butterfiles on a long ribbon worn as a necklace.



















supplies
The instructions in the article were pretty basic so there were some things we had to work out along the way. I took a trial run and made a little square book first using some quilt wrapping paper. I would send this one to my grandmother as a birthday greeting.

I used embroidery floss for binding the book and some beautiful varigated ribbon for the necklace. The pages are a text weight cream with a lilac dotted swiss for endpapers.

cover, endpaper and pages folded together
I cut a 4" x 3" piece of the quilt wrapping paper for the cover. Since the wrapping paper was so thin, I mounted it on some card stock. I then cut out one 4" x 3" end paper from the lilac dotted swiss and (6) 4" x 3" pages out of the cream text weight. I folded all the pages and cover to make a 2" x 3" book.

drill the binding holes
With the cover and pages assembled tightly, I clipped along the open edge with binder clips. Using a Japanese screw punch, I punched 4 small holes 1/4" from the spine. The instructions recommending binding the book using Japanese stab binding with waxed linen. I used the embroidery floss instead.

a little book necklace
The instructions indicated that you could thread the ribbon down through the threads of the binding. I didn't see how this was possible and, if it was, it would weaken the binding. Instead, I laid the ribbon along the spine and sewed around it when I did the stab binding. It was difficult to hold it in place but, once I got the first stitch in, it was easier.

Rhonda's butterfly booklace
When Sue and I got together, we each made a couple of books. Using the stamp I carved a couple of weeks ago, I stamped the inside covers of my book. The outside of my butterfly book (see picture above) is covered with Japanese lace paper. I hoped this would give it an organic look. Sue had an old beaded belt that I took a couple of strands from to make a tail.

Sue's square butterfly book

It looks like it's in motion
Sue creates a lot like my friend Erin. She lets the materials talk to her and just creates. Before starting, I completely plan out my project from beginning to end. When you compare our two butterfly books you can see the difference. Hers looks like a butterfly, like it's flying. Mine looks like a book. Organic vs. planned. I hope one day to be able to work more organically.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • These look great! Are they big enough that you can write in them?

    The advantage to the way you approach creating, Rhonda, is that you take the time to find out what a media can and cannot do. You give yourself a much broader foundation since you take the time to understand the limitations of a given art form. Those of us who just jump in often find ourselves frustrated as we're trying to make the materials do something they are not made to do.

    By Blogger Erin, at 4:54 PM  

  • Breathtaking!

    By Blogger aspire2, at 11:15 PM  

  • Hi! This is Brooke Hunter-Lombardi. I loved seeing your butterflies! I have an installation of over 20 butterlies, moths and one dragonfly in a gallery in Columbus, OH right now. I will be teaching this lesson at Artiscape in May 2007. I am excited to see what people come up with.
    Best,
    Brooke.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home