Drool on the Frog

Monday, July 17, 2006

Iris Folding

sue making her square iris fold cardThis week Sue and I decided to do iris folding. A great stamp artist, Carolyn Hurst, taught me iris fold a few years ago.

I love this technique because the possiblities are endless and the results are so impressive.



sue's card
My mother taught iris fold back in Tennessee. Some of her students used ribbon and fabric instead of paper. Almost anything that's flat with a texture and/or pattern can be used in iris fold.

sue's card
They have immediate appeal because they're so beautiful and interesting. There are an infinite number of color and pattern combinations you can select and they will all look great.

rhonda's card
Instead of giving the exact instructions here on how to do iris fold, I'll simply direct you to a web site that has that info along with several patterns. There is a lot of info on-line as well as products you can buy. If you can't find what you need or have questions, just let me know.

rhonda's card
What I will give you here are my dimensions. I noticed in all the instructions I found each had different measurements.

  1. 1. RED card - 5 ½" x 11" folded to 5 ½" x 5 ½"
  2. 2. WHITE mat - 5" x 5"
  3. 3. BLACK frame - 4½" x 4½", width ¾" (hole is 3" x 3")
  4. 4. PAPER STRIPS - cut from 12" x 12" craft paper in 1" strips; fold over lengthwise about ¼"; one set will make 12 cards.

sue's card
I didn't set up the best lighting enviornment when taking these pictures. You can't tell how vibrant and beautiful the colors are. When Sue and I are working on Saturdays, we're enjoying ourselves so much I forget to take pictures until right before we're finished. Then I'm rushed.

rhonda's card
These cards aren't completely finished. I will stamp the background card with a geometric pattern in silver, gold or versmark ink. In the center square I will put textured paper or another geometric stamp. I will also stamp an object (coffee cup, flower, etc.), cut out and stick in the bottom right corner with dimensional tape.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home