Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Free Stock Photos - Respect Copyright

from GeekPhilosopher.comI agree with Napolean Dynamite's brother, Kip, "I love technology." The majority of my work, play and volunteer work is done using a computer.

One of the things I need to hunt down frequently are photos. Typically since these are for my own personal use or for a charitable organization, I need to find things that are free. But just because it's on the internet DOES NOT MEAN IT'S FREE.

I am a big respector of copyright so I've done a lot of research to find true, free stock photography. Finding them can be confusing because there's also Royalty-free photography. Very simplistically, there have three levels of obtaining photography:

Rights managed has the tightest restrictions. The purchase agreement is very specific about how many times you can use the photo, what size it can be, etc. Basically, you pay for every instance you use the photo. For example, you can purchase the photo of a girl eating ice cream to use on the cover of your newsletter but you can't turn around and also use it in your logo, on your letterhead and on your web site unless you paid for those uses.

Royalty-free photos must be purchased but there are typically no restrictions on how many times you can use it. This means that you can use the same image in newsletters, brochures, business cards, letterhead, web sites, etc.

Free photos are free of charge but that does not mean they are free of use restrictions. Some don't allow use in mass produced marketing mailers, others restrict you to personal uses only.

No matter which you use, each stock company has their own use policy. Some want credit in your publication. Almost all of them restrict the images from being used in political material or in an offensive way. None of them allow you to resell the images. Be sure to read the fine print. It's tedious but it's your responsibility to respect other's work.

In the right hand margin I have added a list of links to Free photo stock sites. If you have any favorites, PLEASE, send me your links.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Thanks, I needed this information!
    I'm the one that knows nothing about royalties, plagarism, and copyright laws.

    I see a photo that gives precisely the feel I'm going for, and I want to use it. Don't bother me with legal shmegal.
    Now I can be a photo user with integrity.

    By Blogger Erin, at 8:37 AM  

  • Yea. The internet makes it way too tempting to snag whatever you need.

    I love my digital camera. If I can't find the picture I need, I'll try to take one of my own or I will draw something and scan it. My Geek and Willa are my models!

    By Blogger rhon, at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home