Drool on the Frog

Friday, October 06, 2006

Willa's Flic Pic: Two Days in the Valley * * ½

Two Days in the ValleyTwo Days in the Valley
1996, John Herzfeld
Crime/Drama
* * ½




Allan Hopper: You know, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was raised in a trailer park. My father abandoned us, and my mother couldn't even afford to send us to college. Now, I may be an asshole, but I've worked hard to become one.

Two Days in the ValleyEvery morning I listen to 2GuysNamedChris on Rock92. On Fridays they have movie reviews with local critic. The show had interview Jeff Daniels once and they asked the critic his favorite Daniels movie. He mentioned Two Days in the Valley and The Purple Rose of Cairo. Since I like Jeff Daniels I rented and enjoyed both of these. One of my favorites is Blood Work. You might be familiar with him from Terms of Endearment, Arachnophobia and Dumb and Dumber.

Two Days in the ValleyTwo Days in the Valley integrates several plot lines to tell the sordid story of the interconnecting lives of several people living in LA in a 48-hour period. The film opens with the murder of Becky's ex-husband, Roy, by a cold blooded assassin and his has-been assistant. The murder takes place in Becky's bed – while she's in it! What makes this film interesting to me is that, instead of the crime driving the story, it's the relationships – how they are connected and what effect they have.

Two Days in the ValleyWhat is most notable about this film is the skill at which so many plot lines are integrated without any one character dominating the film. With one exception, each character is played out no more and no less than is needed to depict their 48-hour experience. This kepts the characters interesting and the plot from getting too weighed down with useless details. I cared very much for the Alvin Strayer character, played by Jeff Daniels, a burned out cop ready to snap. His story had an abrupt end that left me wanting more and wondering, if they weren't going any further, why develop him as much as they did.

Two Days in the ValleyI also appreciate that the film doesn't take itself too seriously. The subtle dark humor ebbs and flows well with the carnage. It's humor in the everyday things, like a toupee, and the not-so-everyday things, like a catfight.

I had no idea what year the film was made but I guessed it was the late '80s. Turns out, it's only ten years old. I think I would blame this mostly on costuming and hairstyles although the whole mood and feel of the film seems dated. There's no indication that it's suppose to be set at any other time except the present. This is an unusual problem for a movie to have.

Two Days in the ValleyThis is not a super great film but it is entertaining and very interesting to watch.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home