Drool on the Frog

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Quickie Book Review 1

Some of the books I listed back on Books Instead of Movies were really great. I'll save a post later for those. Others I don't want to spend a lot of time on so I'll post some quickie reviews.

The Da Vinci Code - This is really old news. As fiction and brain food, it was intellectually insulting. The characters are one-dimensional and inconsistent because they're secondary to the author's agenda and tedious sermonizing. There's nothing more derailing in fiction than preaching from the front row. I quit reading "The Lost World" when I hit an entire chapter, devoid of characters from the story, discussing the idiocy of Creation. If you can't convey your agenda smoothly in the story without preaching, write non-fiction. Others who have fallen into this trap are Orson Scott Card's Xenocide and the Left Behind series.

The movie
had a stellar cast who did the best job they could with the material. There were moments in the movie that were supposed to be serious but came off awkward and comical which, I believe, encapsulates the book.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Love this post! Keep ranting on this one, girl!

    By Blogger aspire2, at 4:06 PM  

  • When the movie came out, My Geek had a revelation about all the energy and attention Christiandom was devoting to it. We were duped. It was completely unnecessary because it would speak for itself and would say nothing.

    By Blogger rhon, at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home