Drool on the Frog

Monday, December 01, 2008

MoPo: Kyle Webster


This week I want to introduce you to local artist and illustrator, Kyle Webster.

I remember meeting Kyle when he worked for Shapiro Walker. The company I worked for at the time was looking for a design firm to revamp our company web site. I recognized his work from city event banners hanging downtown. Kyle talked to me about digital art and you could tell he just loved to draw. He was even thoughtful enough to connect me with a life drawing group that was meeting in a sister city.

Since then, Kyle has made the full transition from working for someone to being a successful freelance artist. His work has appeared in Paste, The Stranger, and The New Yorker and, most recently, The New York Times, The Guardian, and The Wall Street Journal. Congratulations, Kyle.

The distinctive feature of Kyle's work is line. While I admire and marvel at work that is about color because it's not what I do well, I love line because I connect with it. And what he does with line - wonderful.

His web site features blog postings about his work as well as his portfolio. In addition, as if he weren't busy enough, check out The Daily Figure blog and his first issue of the Light Children comic book.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home